A Primer on Modified Sine Wave and Pure Sine Wave Inverters
Courtesy of Solar Stik™
Modified Sine Wave Inverter Advantages:
- Substantially less expensive than the Pure Sine Wave Inverters Readily available - they are the most commonly used and found in the marketplace.
- Smaller in physical size for the same power output as its Pure Sine Wave counterpart.
Modified Sine Wave Inverter Disadvantages:
- Not compatible with all AC appliances
Pure Sine Wave Inverter Advantages:
- Pure Sine Wave output is the most compatible AC power from an inverter, and it is the best waveform for all AC electrical appliances.
- Pure Sine Wave output eliminates interference, noise, and overheating.
- Reduces audible and electrical noise in fans, fluorescent lights, electronics gear and magnetic circuit breakers.
- Prevents glitches and noise in monitoring equipment.
- It can be efficiently electronically protected from overload, over voltage, under voltage, and over temperature conditions.
- Inductive loads like microwave ovens and variable-speed motors operate properly, quieter and cooler. Some appliances will not produce full output if they do not use Pure Sine Wave power.
- Some appliances, such as variable speed drills and bread makers, will not work properly without Pure Sine Wave power.
Pure Sine Wave Inverter Disadvantages:
- More expensive than Modified Sine Wave power inverters. Physically larger than their Modified Sine Wave counterparts
*Customer feedback reveals that some items may not perform well with modified sine wave inverters, including:*
• Scientific instruments and medical equipment such as CPAP
• Some appliances with microprocessor control: washing/sewing machine
• Pellet stove with microprocessor, microwave ovens
• Laser printers, photocopiers
• Some fluorescent lights with electronic ballasts
• Dim-able light controllers
• Some variable speed power tools
• Some battery chargers for cordless tools (not common)
• Older desktop computers
• Older audio equipment may experience a buzz
For the above, consider pure sine inverter. Please call - we’re happy to discuss your options